Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Psalm 103:15-22

15 As for man, his days are like grass;he flourishes like a flower of the field;
16 for the wind passes over it, and it is gone,and its place knows it no more.
17 But the steadfast love of the Lord is from everlasting to everlasting on those who fear him,and his righteousness to children's children,
18 to those who keep his covenantand remember to do his commandments.
19 The Lord has established his throne in the heavens,and his kingdom rules over all.
20 Bless the Lord, O you his angels,you mighty ones who do his word,obeying the voice of his word!
21 Bless the Lord, all his hosts,his ministers, who do his will!
22 Bless the Lord, all his works,in all places of his dominion.Bless the Lord, O my soul!

Nothing more humbling then really thinking about how much our lives add up to. There is no reason to be fatalist about it, but we really get through all this quickly. Hopefully we leave a mark. That is one of the appeals of spirituality to people, it makes them and their lives feel special and full of purpose. Christianity says that God has adopted us as children, that is pretty special, and for many it brings meaning to our lives. Some my critize that, calling it weak minded, I fall more into the camp of saying it just is what it is. We need purpose, and I found it in this area of my life. Thank God.

One blog I read regularly the writer seems to be shifting into lining up his life on this purpose of a greater meaning, "In my Facebook Hotel anyone who just attacks me would be deleted. So, if that’s your idea of fun, hang out somewhere else cause I’m starting to delete comments from people who don’t add any value here. Get your own blog if all you want to do is attack me." One collegue of mine here in Seattle and friend who happens to be a Muslim said to me the first time we met, "I do wish more people in our business believed and acted on their faith in God." He had read my blog, and I really appreciated that. With my broad background as a pastor I often wonder if that isn't a disadvantage, yet if my spirituality means anything it will change the way I act for the good. That means in my entire life, including my work. Let's keep searching and asking the questions, we blades of grass.

No comments: