Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Psalm 109:16

16 For he did not remember to show kindness,but pursued the poor and needyand the brokenhearted, to put them to death.
17 He loved to curse; let curses come upon him!He did not delight in blessing; may it be far from him!
18 He clothed himself with cursing as his coat;may it soak into his body like water,like oil into his bones!
19 May it be like a garment that he wraps around him,like a belt that he puts on every day!20 May this be the reward of my accusers from the Lord,of those who speak evil against my life!
21 But you, O God my Lord,deal on my behalf for your name's sake;because your steadfast love is good, deliver me!
22 For I am poor and needy,and my heart is stricken within me.
23 I am gone like a shadow at evening;I am shaken off like a locust.
24 My knees are weak through fasting;my body has become gaunt, with no fat.
25 I am an object of scorn to my accusers;when they see me, they wag their heads.

I don't care who you are, you had better remember to be kind to the poor or it will come back ot get you. God cares about them, no it is true they are not all saints, there are lots of assholes who are poor, but it doesn't matter. You need to care or it will be used against you. Also don't forget to appreciate good things, sometimes it is easy to get into a mood and delight in the suffer and misfortune of others, let it go. Stop watching the news and go find something positive. Truse me you do not want to be in the category of the person in this Psalm

God looks out for his people. It's amazing to me that David can identify with the poor and needy. He was the king, yet he understood his need, his brokenness. Most leaders appear to have it all together and act like mistakes are the exception. Rather I find mistakes are the norm and often the things that bring us together as people. Sadly it takes hurricanes and earthquakes to bring all people, all faiths, all backgrounds, all economic levels together with a common purpose. Oakland that came with the the territory. It was such a rough city that people who lived there had a bond, almost like you were surviving it together. Seattle doesn't have that vibe, except maybe after the 90th straight day of rain, then we realize we are all nuts to be here.

No comments: