Monday, October 15, 2007

Psalm 116:1-11

116:1 I love the Lord, because he has heard
my voice and my pleas for mercy.
2 Because he inclined his ear to me,
therefore I will call on him as long as I live.
3 The snares of death encompassed me;
the pangs of Sheol laid hold on me;
I suffered distress and anguish.
4 Then I called on the name of the Lord:
“O Lord, I pray, deliver my soul!”

5 Gracious is the Lord, and righteous;
our God is merciful.
6 The Lord preserves the simple;
when I was brought low, he saved me.
7 Return, O my soul, to your rest;
for the Lord has dealt bountifully with you.

8 For you have delivered my soul from death,
my eyes from tears,
my feet from stumbling;
9 I will walk before the Lord
in the land of the living.

10 I believed, even when I spoke,
“I am greatly afflicted”;
11 I said in my alarm,
“All mankind are liars.”

Learning to be selfless is part of growth in spirituality, but there are some (many) personal benefits to being a Christian. Such as the guarantee that God will hear you. Now what kind of person would worship a God that doesn't hear them? Sadly I see it around me all the time. People may not call it worship, or the thing they have based their life around a god, but that is what they do and that is what the house of cards their life is based on is functioning as. He hears me and rescues me from death.

I have never been the smartest guy in the room. Often times I have to work a little harder just to understand what for some people is very simple. Thankfully God takes care of the simple. He shows mercy to them. My goal is to do what wants me to do, to please him, and be found righteous.

This life can be very hard at times. In sales we say, "Buyers are liars." That means don't take people's word for it, sometimes they don't even know what they want. Here the scripture says "All mankind are liars." That sounds harsh but that can be the reality in which we live. It hurts and it hurts deeply.

No comments: