Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Psalm 116:12-19

12 What shall I render to the Lord
for all his benefits to me?
13 I will lift up the cup of salvation
and call on the name of the Lord,
14 I will pay my vows to the Lord
in the presence of all his people.

15 Precious in the sight of the Lord
is the death of his saints.
16 O Lord, I am your servant;
I am your servant, the son of your maidservant.
You have loosed my bonds.
17 I will offer to you the sacrifice of thanksgiving
and call on the name of the Lord.
18 I will pay my vows to the Lord
in the presence of all his people,
19 in the courts of the house of the Lord,
in your midst, O Jerusalem.
Praise the Lord!

One of the best new catholic hymns, and one of the only ones I know is from this Psalm. The cup of salvation is a beautiful picture for us. Jesus on the night he was betrayed prayed that God would take this cup from him, the cup he is referring to there is the cup of judgment. Jesus would have to go through hell in order to deliver unto us the cup of salvation. Thank God he did.

This Psalm really is pointing to Christ. God doesn't find pleasure in the death of his saints, but rather in the one death that defeats death. You have faithfulness and thanksgiving being offered in this Psalm as only Christ can do. Following through with all of his vows perfectly.

No comments: