Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Psalm 119:1-8

119:1 Blessed are those whose way is blameless,
who walk in the law of the Lord!
2 Blessed are those who keep his testimonies,
who seek him with their whole heart,
3 who also do no wrong,
but walk in his ways!
4 You have commanded your precepts
to be kept diligently.
5 Oh that my ways may be steadfast
in keeping your statutes!
6 Then I shall not be put to shame,
having my eyes fixed on all your commandments.
7 I will praise you with an upright heart,
when I learn your righteous rules.
8 I will keep your statutes;
do not utterly forsake me!

There is a hyper-vigilance in many churches against legalism. Battling legalism on all levels is good, our faith is not a list of rules that we are to keep in order to gain favor from God. A life of faith though is marked by faithfulness, and for us because we have wounded hearts faithfulness means repentance and being forgiven. Our salvation is not dependent upon our right actions. This is why the Psalmist says, "I will keep your statutes, do not utterly forsake me!" He knows it is about more than simply doing the right thing.

With that in mind He loves to do the right thing! Blessed is he who walks in the way of the Lord, who follows his law. Who keep his testimonies. There is joy and blessing in lives that are defined by being a follower of Christ. That does not mean things will be simple and easy, yet it does mean we shall not be put to shame! It also means just as the Psalmist says here, "I will learn your righteous rules". We should be desiring to be better and more in line with what God would have for us.

No comments: