Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Psalm 119:9-16

9 How can a young man keep his way pure?
By guarding it according to your word.
10 With my whole heart I seek you;
let me not wander from your commandments!
11 I have stored up your word in my heart,
that I might not sin against you.
12 Blessed are you, O Lord;
teach me your statutes!
13 With my lips I declare
all the rules of your mouth.
14 In the way of your testimonies I delight
as much as in all riches.
15 I will meditate on your precepts
and fix my eyes on your ways.
16 I will delight in your statutes;
I will not forget your word.

The heart of the matter is intention. That goes for marriage...you can blow it royally but if you intentions were good it is alright, that goes for Christianity. Here the Psalmist, probably David, is having trouble remaining pure. Now David had a thing for the ladies so most people assume this is talking about sexually pure. What does he do to wrestle with impurity? Rest, studies, memorizes, and learns God word; for him that was the Torah (the first five books of the Bible) for us it is the entire Bible.

I find it unusual to meet a Christian who has adequate knowledge of the Bible. Generally when I meet someone and they know the Bible really well it is because they have studied it while in jail. Rarely do I meet someone at church and think wow they really understand the scripture. Frankly it was not until I was in my third year of seminary and I studied under John Frame that I found out what it meant to think biblically. Suddenly my life was not my own and a desire burned within me to shape my entire being around God's word, which is most clear when I look at Christ, and all of Scripture points to Christ, therefore my goal is not just to have head knowledge of it, but rather to incarnate it into my daily living.

No comments: