Friday, November 16, 2007

Psalm 119:105-112

105 Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.
106 I have sworn an oath and confirmed it,to keep your righteous rules.
107 I am severely afflicted;give me life, O Lord, according to your word!
108 Accept my freewill offerings of praise, O Lord,and teach me your rules.
109 I hold my life in my hand continually,but I do not forget your law.
110 The wicked have laid a snare for me,but I do not stray from your precepts.
111 Your testimonies are my heritage forever,for they are the joy of my heart.
112 I incline my heart to perform your statutesforever, to the end.

Running has given me a clear picture of why we would need a lamp for our feet. A few weeks ago I had a very long run on the schedule. It was right after Taitum was born, and she woke us up at 4:00AM. After settling her down and Karin falling back asleep I realized I was wide awake so I decided to start my 20 miler. Most places you run you don't need a lamp. There are street lights or no trees and the moon and sky light your way. I ran over to Golden Gardens park at the very beginning of my run. This is a beautiful location but I didn't think through ahead of time that the path down the hill is not lit and tree covered so your are basically running in total blackness. Now I didn't fall, but came very close twice. I could have used a lamp to light the way in that moment.

God's words is that which lights our way so that we are able to chart a course. Make an oath and keep it with His strength he gives us. We can risk being very brave even with our life knowing he cares about it even more then we do at times. Our hearts have been changed so that we can honor God and follow his laws.

No comments: