Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Proverbs 3:19-27

19 The Lord by wisdom founded the earth;
by understanding he established the heavens;
20 by his knowledge the deeps broke open,
and the clouds drop down the dew.

21 My son, do not lose sight of these—
keep sound wisdom and discretion,
22 and they will be life for your soul
and adornment for your neck.
23 Then you will walk on your way securely,
and your foot will not stumble.
24 If you lie down, you will not be afraid;
when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet.
25 Do not be afraid of sudden terror
or of the ruin of the wicked, when it comes,
26 for the Lord will be your confidence
and will keep your foot from being caught.
27 Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due,
when it is in your power to do it.

It was there in the beginning. Wisdom is tied to creation. The Garden of Eden is not far enough back for God's wisdom, but rather the beginning of time as we know it. One thing that strikes me when thinking about the relationship between the beginning/creation and wisdom is that it expressed itself in the Word. God spoke the heavens and earth into place.

Aidyn makes lots of things now, and one of her favorite things to make is jewelery. It means tons to her when either Karin or one of her grandmothers wears the jewelery that she makes. God delights in our wearing of wisdom! He has made it for us, to grasp and wear and make us even more beautiful.

Wisdom does not just look good, our faith is not just about the show. But rather it keeps you from stumbling! It has practical application to real life. Your path will be more smooth. When you rest you will have deep rest. You won't have to freak out when things get tough, or disaster strikes, for God will protect you. Therefore you are free to do good to those around you and who deserve it. I have trouble with the last part because I think everyone I meet deserves it and should be my best friend. Wisdom is teaching me otherwise. Also I think that I have all power to do that good, when my resources are severely limited and probably will continue to be that way until I am able to know exactly who does deserve it.

No comments: