Thursday, January 17, 2008

Proverbs 3:9-12

9 Honor the Lord with your wealth
and with the firstfruits of all your produce;
10 then your barns will be filled with plenty,
and your vats will be bursting with wine.

11 My son, do not despise the Lord's discipline
or be weary of his reproof,
12 for the Lord reproves him whom he loves,
as a father the son in whom he delights.

Wealth is a touching topic. It is not very cool to encourage or support wealth these days. In someways I appreciate this trend if supporting wealth is done at the expense of the poor and needy. Often times the capital and emperial systems we have been a part of function that way. Britian became a world power because of slavery and great shipping which were both related. US became a world power because we could drop a bomb on people who did own a bomb.

Yet the assumption in the Proverbs regarding wealth is that you are seeking understand how to use it in a good way and then do it. Also wealth is clearly tied to God's path for. It is not fantasy, don't be surprised if things don't work out and hate God's discipline, but that is not the expectation for how God works.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are right. Wealth is a touching topic. If you have lots of it, you can get away touching people.

- Special Billy

michaelstevensrev said...

I thought this one was funny. In the last week some dear friends have been teasing me about how I write on both my blog and IM and thought why not one more.

I used to get teased lots about how I talked so I cleaned it up...looks like I need to do that with some of my writing. The post after this one was supposed to read "What in the world" instead it says What in the works, ha.