Monday, May 19, 2008

Proverbs 8:1-11

8:1 Does not wisdom call?
Does not understanding raise her voice?
2 On the heights beside the way,
at the crossroads she takes her stand;
3 beside the gates in front of the town,
at the entrance of the portals she cries aloud:
4 “To you, O men, I call,
and my cry is to the children of man.
5 O simple ones, learn prudence;
O fools, learn sense.
6 Hear, for I will speak noble things,
and from my lips will come what is right,
7 for my mouth will utter truth;
wickedness is an abomination to my lips.
8 All the words of my mouth are righteous;
there is nothing twisted or crooked in them.
9 They are all straight to him who understands,
and right to those who find knowledge.
10 Take my instruction instead of silver,
and knowledge rather than choice gold,
11 for wisdom is better than jewels,
and all that you may desire cannot compare with her.

Where does wisdom get you?  That question can be looked at two ways, the first is what is in it for me.  If I seek wisdom all the days of my life what is the promise.  Proverbs says, long life, wealth, and a good family.  Yes there are exceptions to this rule the Bible is filled with them both because we are sinful and we live in a fallen world, but that doesn't make the rule not true.

The other way to look at is where does it get you.  Like the other woman wisdom cries out, she calls to fools.  The offering of wisdom is truth, righteousness, knowledge, all of which is very valuable.  A desire for fast cash doesn't square with what wisdom gives you, simply because you would probably spend it as soon as you get it.  I just listen to This American Life from last week where they covered the U.S. mortgage crisis.  There were people just out of college earning $100K a month during the boom, who now are on the brink of bankruptcy during the bust.  Not wise. 

My desire is for wisdom, and I am constantly frustrated with what a slow learner I am.  May God give me the patience to get there.

2 comments:

hereticalpolemicist said...

Wisdom is the metaphysics of the natural order. It speaks in signs and symbols to lead us to it, that has its extending roots within us.

michaelstevensrev said...

Wisdom is much more when we look into the Proverbs. The state of being in the natural order does not offer answers to the deepest of questions, it merely in the words of C.S. Lewis confirms those things which we already believe. I know many may disagree but my wrestling within the Bible to understand has led me to believe even as poorly as I understand it, the picture and story if gives of life is the most compelling when I look at my own existence.