Wednesday, August 27, 2008

I will drink your milkshake

image An amazing line that takes so long to get to, but worth every moment.  Last night, now that family has gone back to Maryland, we sat down to enjoy a movie together.  There Will be Blood lived up to all of my hopes, actually it was better.  I was expecting an extremely violent movie, while the violence was detailed and intimate it was not unnecessary.  In other words it made it's point.  I also was expecting over the top freakiness from the characters, as strange and disturbed as they were it seemed true to me, not a caricature at all, but believable people. 

The part of the movie that I was looking forward to the most was the music.  Jonny Greenwood (aka Radiohead's guitarist) image did an amazing job, some may say heavy handed, but I loved it.  There were moments where the music was so loud and powerful it overtook the dialogue, it was the musical version of mud/blood hitting the camera which was also done in this movie.  I like the reminders that we are watching a creation rather than being fooled we are participants.  Anyway I cannot remember a movie since The Shining that so creeped me out by the music.  I know my recommendation/review comes well after most have probably seen it, but if you have waited like we did you won't be disappointed.

2 comments:

emmyzdaddy said...

glad you finally caught There Will be Blood. It's one of my favorites.

mpbounds said...

Mike,

This is Michael Bounds. I came across this pretty much by accident. If you don't remember me I met you in 1993, at Breakaway. I hung out with you, Jeff McMullen and others. You were extreamly instrumental in bringing me to christ that November and starting to shape me into the man that I am today. I am currently in the navy, I am stationed in Bremerton, WA. After this is over for me, which is in a little more than 2 years, I am going to be working on going to Seminary to become a Pastor. For helping guide me in this, I would like to thank you.

Mike Bounds

http://mikes-randomthoughts.blogspot.com/