Thursday, March 5, 2009

Summarizing it well

The book of Numbers doesn't exactly thrill me to wake up and read in the morning, yet there is some really cool moments that happen in the book. Just today I was reading the story of Balaam, the prophet, giving his 'curses' of Israel to Balak the king. Balak wanted to hear he was going to kick the crap out of Israel, Balaam tried to get out of the meeting because he knew the news he would give the king would be good and it would cost Balaam his life.

Listen to this part:

“From Aram Balak has brought me,
the king of Moab from the eastern mountains:
‘Come, curse Jacob for me,
and come, denounce Israel!’
8 How can I curse whom God has not cursed?
How can I denounce whom the Lord has not denounced?
9 For from the top of the crags I see him,
from the hills I behold him;
behold, a people dwelling alone,
and not counting itself among the nations!
10 Who can count the dust of Jacob
or number the fourth part of Israel?
Let me die the death of the upright,
and let my end be like his!”

How can I go against what God's told me even if it kills me? Like everyone I could be more consistent in regularly reading God's word. Since it is the primary way God has to speak to us, I know it is important, yet I still don't measure up to my own low standard:) How could I ever have the confidence to say I'm sticking with God even if it kills me?

I was inspired this morning, so much so I had to return to the page. Our world is upside down, yet I feel great comfort that God cares for me more than the lillies of the field...that changes things. People are rightfully scared and worried about what the near future holds especially as it relates to jobs and family. Standing firm on the promises of God is key for me, each one of us is here for so much more. Call it fate, destiny, or providence. Enjoy the people around you, encourage them. In these frightening times take a moment to not focus on yourself but smile at the person next to you...we need it.

No comments: