Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Proverbs 10:12, offending

12 Hatred stirs up strife, but love covers all offenses.

1 Peter 4:8 Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins.

There is no doubt that we will sin or offend each other. This is a big relief to me, I try not to sin or make mistakes. I go to great lengths to not offend or disrupt people, especially those close to me especially my wife and daughters. They are the ones who I often get in worse messes because I don't want to offend. Therefore this Proverb is a good word for me...love.  

When I used to preach it was impossible for me to receive honest feedback and criticism from my wife. How does it apply, well I had hatred and it stirred up strife, my love for her was so weak I  could not hear here whether she was right or wrong. She loves me well, and between my personal wounds and general self centeredness I am just now beginning to love her in a way that offenses are covered.

God hates sin, but he does make provision for sin. The greatest love demonstrated to the world is that of God sending Jesus his Son for us. Have you ever wondered if you are love, the answer is yes. God's love did not cover a multitude of his sin, because he has none.  Rather the offense he covers is ours, the multitude he erases is mine. How sweet the grace that I have received when I who have offended and created a multitude of sin entire on my own, I am forgiven with no penalty for me to bear.    

No comments: