Monday, October 22, 2007

Psalm 118:1-13

118:1 Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;for his steadfast love endures forever!
2 Let Israel say,“His steadfast love endures forever.”
3 Let the house of Aaron say,“His steadfast love endures forever.”
4 Let those who fear the Lord say,“His steadfast love endures forever.”
5 Out of my distress I called on the Lord;the Lord answered me and set me free.
6 The Lord is on my side; I will not fear.What can man do to me?
7 The Lord is on my side as my helper;I shall look in triumph on those who hate me.
8 It is better to take refuge in the Lordthan to trust in man.
9 It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in princes.
10 All nations surrounded me;in the name of the Lord I cut them off!
11 They surrounded me, surrounded me on every side;in the name of the Lord I cut them off!12 They surrounded me like bees;they went out like a fire among thorns;in the name of the Lord I cut them off!
13 I was pushed hard, so that I was falling,but the Lord helped me.

This Psalm is the party over here...party over there psalm. God's steadfast love endures forever, let's hear it from the ladies...how about the ol' folks, you house of Aaron, all of Israel. You can almost picture a MC with his microphone pumping up the crowd to this one. You say hey I say ha...HEY..ha...HEY...ha. Can you picture it? Yeah alittle silly I know but sure helps me get is more.

Then comes the verse. In distress call on the Lord, he answered and set me free. Sounds like a good song. When he is with me I'm not afraid for no one can mess with me. All the haters get what's coming to them, because God has my back.

The "it is better's" are almost a bridge to the song. Better than trusting in man, and better than trusting in princes. Men will let you down, and princes will be overthrown. God is steadfast and his love endures forever.

The "they surrounded me's" come at it again, talking about those times of trouble. All around they had me, and yet in God's name they are cut off. They plan to trap me fell through and I made it out. They are like bees, not a pretty picture, yet they still got cut off. In my own strength I couldn't get out of the situation but rather had God there to help me. On my own all I did was fall, but God helped.

No comments: