Thursday, November 22, 2007

Psalm 119:121-128

121 I have done what is just and right; do not leave me to my oppressors.
122 Give your servant a pledge of good; let not the insolent oppress me.
123 My eyes long for your salvation and for the fulfillment of your righteous promise.
124 Deal with your servant according to your steadfast love, and teach me your statutes.
125 I am your servant; give me understanding, that I may know your testimonies!
126 It is time for the Lord to act, for your law has been broken.
127 Therefore I love your commandments above gold, above fine gold.
128 Therefore I consider all your precepts to be right; I hate every false way.

Our righteousness is no guarantee of salvation, either in the next life or in this one. Otherwise why would the Psalmist be reminding God both of his righteousness and his need to be rescued from oppressors. This realization can guard against a prosperity gospel, that says the better you are the more you will get whether it is money riches power or whatever. Of course God loves to take care of those who follow Him, just be weary of anyone who tries to sell you on a direct relationship between your faithfulness/righteous acts and reward.

I love how teachable the Psalmist is, there is a humility in his writings, even thought he makes no bones about calling the unrighteous-unrighteous or the evil-evil. Just because he loves God's word clearly does not give him all the answers, only sets him on the way. And that love is deep.

No comments: