Thursday, November 8, 2007

Psalm 119:65-72

65 You have dealt well with your servant, O Lord, according to your word.
66 Teach me good judgment and knowledge, for I believe in your commandments.
67 Before I was afflicted I went astray, but now I keep your word.
68 You are good and do good; teach me your statutes.
69 The insolent smear me with lies, but with my whole heart I keep your precepts;
70 their heart is unfeeling like fat, but I delight in your law.
71 It is good for me that I was afflicted, that I might learn your statutes.
72 The law of your mouth is better to me than thousands of gold and silver pieces.

Just last night I was talking with some folks about how God teaches us. Sometimes it is through suffering, though none of us would wish suffering on ourselves or others. Through God's word is the other place that God does serious work in our lives. That which we once rebelled against becomes our comfort. I like the way the Psalmist talks about the insolent..thier heart is unfeeling like fat. That is a funny picture to me.

No comments: