Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Psalm 119:97-104

97 Oh how I love your law!It is my meditation all the day.
98 Your commandment makes me wiser than my enemies,for it is ever with me.
99 I have more understanding than all my teachers,for your testimonies are my meditation.
100 I understand more than the aged, for I keep your precepts.
101 I hold back my feet from every evil way,in order to keep your word.
102 I do not turn aside from your rules,for you have taught me.
103 How sweet are your words to my taste,sweeter than honey to my mouth!
104 Through your precepts I get understanding;therefore I hate every false way.

Here is the delight the joy you find. It is not in simply being smarter than others that God gives so that we can look down our nose, but rather wiser. That those things encouraged in his word and especially the law make life better, and give us understand to have patience and perspective on where others are coming from.

One silly example is I don't think Aidyn, my six year old daughter, would be as good of a reader if we did not read along with her in church every week. We also every Sunday read together as part of our Sabbath. Two very "religious" practices benefit our daughter in her school life. Are there other ways to do the same thing? Yes, but these are worked into a rhythm in which God has called us to live.

This rhythm also makes us delight in good. We long for good. Does this mean we always do it...hell no. But it is at the core desire of our hearts. One friend of mine would always says that you have never met someone who wants to please God more than him, these days I'd argue with him. That is at the core of my life and I have a long way to go in doing it consitantly, and in a way that is not about me, but I want that.

No comments: