Thursday, November 29, 2007

Psalm 121

121:1 I lift up my eyes to the hills. From where does my help come?
2 My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth.
3 He will not let your foot be moved; he who keeps you will not slumber.
4 Behold, he who keeps Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.
5 The Lord is your keeper; the Lord is your shade on your right hand.
6 The sun shall not strike you by day, nor the moon by night.
7 The Lord will keep you from all evil; he will keep your life.
8 The Lord will keep your going out and your coming in from this time forth and forevermore.

This is a really great Psalm. As I sit hear and drink my coffee looking at the mountains in the distance I am led to worship. Thought that is how we commonly think of this Psalm it really was not the intention of the writer. This is one of the Psalms of ascent where the writer is making a trip to Temple. He looks to the hills and get freaked out becuase that is where the robbers come down from. So it immediately leads him to pray for help.

Help from a God who makes all things, and who does not sleep or slumber. He is on the job. God not slacking is good news for us, because we then have the opportunity to rest. And I need it right now! He will take care of you better then you can imagine so stop worrying and enter into His rest.

No comments: