Thursday, November 1, 2007

Psalm 119:33-40

33 Teach me, O Lord, the way of your statutes;
and I will keep it to the end.
34 Give me understanding, that I may keep your law
and observe it with my whole heart.
35 Lead me in the path of your commandments,
for I delight in it.
36 Incline my heart to your testimonies,
and not to selfish gain!
37 Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things;
and give me life in your ways.
38 Confirm to your servant your promise,
that you may be feared.
39 Turn away the reproach that I dread,
for your rules are good.
40 Behold, I long for your precepts;
in your righteousness give me life!

There is a ton of repetition in this Psalm. The heart of the Psalmist is to serve God through the law, even to the end. The line that strikes me in this passage is "Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things..." So much of my life is spent looking at the worthless. Only recently have I begun to evaluate things in priority of their worth. For me that means though I own a copy of Halo 3 I don't have the gaming system to play it on. The time I would spending doing that is not worth the time, playing Sorry or Uno with my daughter, or in bed with my wife. That is not to say that Halo 3 is worthless for everyone, it is just where I am at right now. There are still many things in my life that get my time that shouldn't, so this work is continuous.

No comments: