Sunday, November 4, 2007

Psalm 119:40-48

41 Let your steadfast love come to me, O Lord,
your salvation according to your promise;
42 then shall I have an answer for him who taunts me,
for I trust in your word.
43 And take not the word of truth utterly out of my mouth,
for my hope is in your rules.
44 I will keep your law continually,
forever and ever,
45 and I shall walk in a wide place,
for I have sought your precepts.
46 I will also speak of your testimonies before kings
and shall not be put to shame,
47 for I find my delight in your commandments,
which I love.
48 I will lift up my hands toward your commandments, which I love,
and I will meditate on your statutes.

Again there is no confidence offer by the writer that his obedience to God word will save him. If that were the case why would he call upon God's love and grace. Frankly there would be no need. What a wild idea that God would take his word from the lips of his follower? We need boundaries, everyone with any sense of how life works knows this. God's way are the best. I am regularly surprised with how that plays off. Often it takes only a short time for people who are around the church to recognize that there are many benefits to the organization. Yet that is not enough, there must be a deep embrace of God in order to gain the full benefit.

No comments: