Sunday, November 4, 2007

Psalm 119:49-56

49 Remember your word to your servant,
in which you have made me hope.
50 This is my comfort in my affliction,
that your promise gives me life.
51 The insolent utterly deride me,
but I do not turn away from your law.
52 When I think of your rules from of old,
I take comfort, O Lord.
53 Hot indignation seizes me because of the wicked,
who forsake your law.
54 Your statutes have been my songs
in the house of my sojourning.
55 I remember your name in the night, O Lord,
and keep your law.
56 This blessing has fallen to me,
that I have kept your precepts.

Hope in the law is something that we do not generally put together. The law was so much more than discipline for the wrong you do in your life for the Psalmist. Rather it was a place where he found life, and found it fully. This is not a plea to have the Ten Commandments posted around public life so people have to look at it. But rather it is a reminder to me that the law is not always painful, it does not always mean jail time. Rather there is an understanding of the law that can lead us to worship. That it allows us to see and understand a wonderful part of God.

No comments: